May 19, 2010

Jordan Family Chicken Salad - El Yum

If I could have a branded cooking section on this blog I would call it El Yum.

I have no idea why.  I would just do it and never think twice.   :)

My Mimi passed this recipe down to my Mom who added her own twist and then taught me how to make it. This is one if Chris's most favorite Jordan family recipes.   Tomorrow I will give y'all my other mama's - Mama Bear Hill - recipe for the best and most easy spaghetti ever :)

I have been hot all day today and the thought of eating anything hot sounds horrible.   So tonight I am making this for dinner.

Jordan Family Chicken Salad:

(chicken salad is all about a little dash of this and a little dash of that)

2-3 chicken breasts boiled in chicken stock (sans the MSG) until done  (you can have bone it or just boneless skinless -- whatever you prefer)
4-6 stalks of celery washed and sliced thinly
1/2 -2/3 cup of lightly toasted sliced almonds
1 teaspoon of dried dill weed (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon of celery salt (or more to taste)
1/2-3/4 cup of mayo (or more to taste)
a little salt and as much ground pepper as you like

Once your chicken is done and cooled off enough to handle with hands, or cooled off completely, then cut in chunks and add it to your food processor and pulse 3-4 times until shredded.    If you do not have a food processor then just shred it or dice it up finely.   Add chicken to a large bowl and add dill weed and celery salt and toss to coat chicken.    Then add the mayo.   Then add cooled almonds and celery.   Mix well.  Taste.  Add pepper and any more of the seasonings or mayo that you think is necessary.   Put in the refrigerator for at least an hour to cool before eating.  If stored in an airtight container then will last up to five days in refigerator.

Serve with any of the following in whatever combination seems best to you:
Tortilla Chips
Salsa
Fresh French Bread
Red or Green Grapes (+ any other fruit that might sound good)
HEB Hummus (traditional)
Lightly toasted pita bread
Flour Tortillas
Romaine Lettuce Leaves
Sweat Tea, Lemonade, Limeade

No comments: