May 21, 2010

How I met Mr. Hill

I thought it might be fun to tell y'all the long saga of how Chris and I started dating.

I think it will be fun for me to tell my side of the story and then for Chris to tell his side.  That way you get both point of views.

I think I will give you the long version.  Does this interest you?

My freshman year  I dated a boy.   He was a nice boy.   I was a nice girl.   We were just not nice for each other.   That ended in April.   I was mad at God for letting me waste my time.    I was living in the sorority house at the time and I remember lying on the floor of my room which was also called "The Cave" and being angry at God because  I felt like I had wasted my time dating this boy [who was and is a very nice boy].  

Then God said two things to me that got me up off that floor.  He said first "I do not waste your time".   That brought great peace to me but my heart still felt like it had gone through a cheese grater.    I asked the Lord what I was supposed to do and he said "Hope and Wait."     So that is what  I did.

That summer I went home and interned with Young Life and worked at a day spa and hung out with my super bestie Kelley Samu Ellis.    It was awesome and got awoke a hunger in me for Him that was unreal.   I was pouring into people while also getting poured into by Jesus.   That month was busy.   Every moment was planned.   I grew so much.

Then my family went to Cains, Australia for the rest of the summer because my Dad was drilling in Papua New Guinea.   I went from barely having time to think to laying on a beach doing nothing and all I could think about was marriage.   I was pissed.   I remember lying in bed next to my Mimi telling God that I did not want to think about marriage because it was driving me utterly insane.   Then God said something interesting to me, he said "I do not give you passion without purpose".    In an instant I had such complete peace --- it was awesome.    Then I went on this whole search for understanding God's goodness which you can read about here.

Then we did all kind of wonderful things in Australia and I decided that if there was no Texas that I would live in Australia even though they had British food.    The Chinese food there was glorious, so was the Great Barrier Reef.

As soon as my feet landed back in the U.S. it was time to head back to College Station for sorority stuff. Once I was settled back into the sorority house Mr. Boy from freshman year came back on the scene and was interested in dating me again.   I was thrilled to say the least.

I had two friends in Chi O who were older than me and had discipled me the year before,  Lauren Lust and Kristi Stewart Lewis.   They were and are wild for Jesus and everything I needed and wanted in friends at that time ---- and still to this day.    Kristi Stewart Louis had been partners with Wes Witney at Impact camp that summer.    Wes Witney had just moved into a house with four other boys the beginning of my sophomore year.    One of which was Daniel Weizel who I knew because of my friend from high school and roommate freshman year, Ellen Armour Olive.    Wes and Daniel just happened to be friends with Chris Hill who was living in the house, called The Lonestar Verde, with them.

Kristi and Lauren started hanging out there all the time.    About two weeks into the school year they called me up one day and said they had met this awesome house of guys through Wes.   Lauren was like "Yeah, and there is this guy named Chris who is super hot and loves Jesus and business".  

Little did Kristi and Lauren know that the previous night I had just been to a party at Kristi's house and had the awesome realization that I was single and I was in college and the boys at the party knew I was single.   And I liked it.

But remember Mr. Boy from freshman year is still on the scene --- calling me and what not.

Then Daniel Weizel invited me and some of my sorority girlfriends over for a Thursday night party.   This would be the second time I met Chris Hill.   The very first time was at the Marina for a football BBQ --- but I was there because Mr. Boy from freshman year was there and I did not have any eyes to take notice of Chris.

I get to the party at Daniel's (The Lonestar Verde) and Kristi and Lauren are waiting to introduce me to Chris.    I walk in and Chris is standing in the hallway announcing to everyone that he is going to bed because he has an accounting quiz the next day.    And he was wearing his glasses.    I thought he was dorky.

That was on Thursday.  On Sunday we had our first co-ed bible study.   Kristi, Lauren, Shaina, and I and several other girls had bible study every Sunday night the year before.   This year we decided to open it up to everyone who wanted to come.

I was late and I walked in and Chris Hill was sitting in a chair.   I was captivated, smitten, and totally taken.    He was dressed in his maroon air jordan

I did everything I could to ignore him completely.   I kept telling myself that I was single and I liked it AND there was Mr. Boy.    At the very end of the bible study this stunningly handsome Chris Hill asked if he could pray for me.   All the girls gasped in delight and my heart sank.   I thought man if he touches me I might faint.  

Then he prayed for me.  He read my mail.  He prayed everything I needed to hear.   He spoke to the Lord about every secret of my heart, and then he read me the part of scripture that I had been reading all summer.

Then he left.

Then the girls rushed me to Taco Cabana and sat me outside and announced:  YOU ARE GOING TO MARRY THAT MAN.    Then I yelled at them and told them not to be silly, immature, and annoying.

Then on Tuesday I went to Houston and got my hair done and drove back to the sorority house.    Lauren Lust called me and asked me if I wanted to go get a vanilla Dr. Pepper.

But what she really did was kidnap me and force me to go over to The Lonestar Verde unannounced while wearing the SAME shirt I had worn on Thursday night.

That is when everything started which I will tell you all about later  :)

This is when the story gets really good and I stop saying then, then, then  :)

No comments: