May 28, 2010

The Free

Our friend, Kyle Wood's favorite book is East of Eden by John Steinbeck, and Jasmine Star just recently posted on her blog that she also loved the book.


I have kind of been starved for something a little more intellectually challenging to read than your average Christian novel.   Ya know, sometimes your mind just needs the exercise.   So, last week I walked in to Tomball's little used book store and picked up a brand new copy.


So far it is very interesting.   


As I read last night John transitioned in between story lines to make a little vignette about human kind, and it just captured me so I thought I would share:


"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world.  And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected.  And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.  This is what I am and what I am about.  I can understand why a system built on a pattern must try to destroy the free mind, for that is one thing which can by inspection destroy such a system.   Surely I can understand this, and I hate and I will fight against it to preserve the one thing that separates us from the uncreative beasts.  If the glory can be killed, we are lost."


On this memorial weekend where we remember and honor all those who have fought and died for this "free" country, I think this little vignette is especially appropriate.  It is the interesting thing about America that we fight for some sort of chaotic balance between the system and the individual.   It is the tension between the two that gives us momentum to continue to move forward, freely.   


It is also interesting to me that it is God who gave us our free mind and will, and because of that we are presented with the most valuable choice on earth.  To choose Him or not.


Happy Memorial Weedend, y'all!



1 comment:

The Caffeinated Librarian said...

Love your blog! Have a wonderful Memorial day!