Sep 27, 2008

Joseph=every one of us.

So, God's been talking to me a lot lately through the story of Joseph. It's a story that I have studied quite a bit over time, but lately God has been randomly reminding me of certain parts of the story in order to then speak some encouragement into my life. I want to share some of those things in the hope and belief that the Lord will encourage your life too through my words here.

Some opening thoughts: Just because you aren't called to rule the known world doesn't mean this story isn't about you. That was God's unique call on Joseph's life. He has a unique call for each one of us! Living for eternity is about living to fulfill that call - your call………..Next thought – If you are willing to follow what God has for you, there will be a process. Each pit, chain, and prison that God lead Joseph into was not to hurt him. It was for the purpose of making and sculpting him into the man that God needed – a man chosen to preserve posterity for God's chosen people of Israel in a time of great need.


 

I am so amazed by this man. He did not have Christ in His heart as you and I. He didn't have the Holy Spirit walking with him at every moment to lead and guide his steps as you and I do. Yet, he consistently forgave, walked in integrity, and endured.


 

He forgave his family who sold him into slavery instead of murdering him. He forgave Potiphar's wife. He forgave Pharaohs' butler who forgot and left him in prison for two years (after Joseph had asked him to remember).

He walked in integrity when he had no reason to. In that situation, would you not find yourself asking, "What do I have to lose? I am already a slave in a foreign land. I might as well get something out of this for myself." But no, he was so trustworthy that Potiphar made him lord of his whole house. (Go read what he says to Potiphars wife!) He was thrown into prison under false charges – and it did not change who he was or what he did. Would you not be tempted to defend yourself? Would you not be tempted to curse God and die? You have just worked up to a reasonable place in a land not your own – to get thrown into prison. Would you not struggle with depression now? (Before God I must honestly say that would be difficult.) Yet Joseph remembered his dream and the God of his fathers.

He endured. This one is what I would think would be the hardest. (Ok, maybe I'm biased here. I feel like I'm going through this myself. No, I am not in prison. But I am a man who has a dream of owning a business and running it for the sake of the Kingdom. I am "stuck" in the most corporate job – waiting. This is a test. I have a choice. I can be bitter, I can lose hope, I can get frustrated and allow my heart to get hard; or, I can remember my dream and the God who lives in my heart.) Joseph passed this test. He endured the test of time, and God knew that he would steward whatever was put in front of him. By the process God led him through; Joseph was shown to have character.


 

Please allow me the position of making this a little personal. Has your family done things that hurt? How did you handle that? Joseph was sold into slavery for $20. Have you been unwilling to see what God has for you in the midst of pain and unfair treatment? Have you cursed him as you waited for His promises to come true? WE ALL HAVE STRUGGLES! How we chose to handle the processes (Processes – Chris's "spiritual" way of saying "really difficult hurt and trials.") that God supernaturally leads us through will determine the extent that we live the dreams that He has placed in our hearts. I encourage you this morning – as I encourage my own heart - to endure. I believe that the Spirit of Jesus Christ that lives within us is able and willing to give us the grace that is required for the situation that we face. I am not so naïve as to think that I can personally understand all of the "processes" God has lead/is leading you through, but this thing I know – He does. He forgave, walked in perfect integrity, and endured for the sake of the glory that was set before Him – our redemption.

No comments: