Apr 3, 2010

An Explosion of All Things Pent Up

OH MY GOSH.

Bad things happen when I get too excited.  Things get broken.  I hit things in cars.  Squirrels spontaneously combust.  It is crazy the amount of excitement energy that God has given me the ability to generate.

Frankly, I sometimes wonder if you could power a small city off of my excitement.  It's pretty ridiculous, just ask my wife.


Well, work has been crazy, and we've been out of town nearly every weekend.  (Saturday morning after my quiet time is my favorite time to blog...coffee still flows in abundance, good music on the stereo, the day is still quiet - it basically rocks.)  The business and traveling have greatly limited me from being able to release all of my silly excitement about random things in life via the blog.

I am about to explode in real life from all the fun, random, silly things that I have been wanting to write about for the last month.  I hope you have fun.



1.  The album Trouble by Ray LaMontagne might be the perfect Spring time cd.  Last weekend, I sat on the front porch listening to this cd.  The Sun was still up (God love you, Daylight Savings time!), the breeze was slight, the pond was pretty, Diamond H steaks were on the grill, the wine was a Punto Final Malbec, and my wife was looking particularly beautiful.  One of the best nights of my life, truthfully.


2.  Online Shopping.  I love it.  I can find nearly anything online for less money.  I get to compare prices, service, etc all from the comfort of my Michael Jordan basketball shorts and iTunes library.  Booya.

I love online shopping, but I have also discovered something about myself through it:

I turn into an impatient and emotional two year-old when I have that tracking number.

Seriously.  I will open my email, open the Online Shopping label in my gmail (I told you, I'm sick) and find the tracking email from Eastbay.  I will check the track of my package 3 times a day at least.  "Oh, I know that the package left Indiana yesterday, surely it will be to Texas today, right?"

For my birthday, this was particularly problematic.  I had several things that I wanted to shop online for.  Armed with my bday cash, I went to freaking town.  (BTW, I heartily endorse the following products.  They are all more than SHFP worthy.  Seriously, you should buy them.)  New 320 GB harddrive for my MacBook?  Cheap and Check.  New, RIDICULOUSLY HOTT Nike Basketball shoes?  Wes and Luke Friesen bought the same ones, Check, and triple Check.

I have never acted more completely ridiculously than while waiting for these two packages to arrive.  It was completely absurd.  I have since apologized to my wife.  Yep, it was bad.

Haha.  While repeatedly tracking my Eastbay shipment for my basketball shoes, I see that they have arrived in Conroe on a Saturday.  This is awesome.  This means that the next business day (Monday), I will see those magical words, "OUT FOR DELIVERY".  The next day, I dutifully, triply check my tracking number only to find that they have been passed off to the Post Office for final delivery.  What kind of awful joke is this, UPS???????  The US POST OFFICE?  They stink so bad they can't even make a profit with a monopoly on our mailboxes and you give my prized basketball shoes to them for final delivery?  What in God's name are you thinking???


I had a minor near meltdown, and the shoes showed up on Tuesday.  Like I said, I apologized to my wife for my frantic and completely pathetic emotional state.

Will I change my online shopping ways?  Absolutely not.  Will it likely provide me with more fodder for random blog posts?  Absolutely.

3.  I rear-ended a woman on Belt-way 8 doing 35 miles an hour.  It was awful.  No one was hurt.  Her truck was totaled an mine ends up with cosmetic damage (I guess we can still say something for good ol' GMC, right?).  Not quite sure how that happened, but apparently two car lengths isn't enough space to check your blindspot with how fast Houstonians can slam on their breaks.  Such is life, and this is how we learn our lessons.  Thank God for comprehensive insurance and for keeping everyone safe.

I sat there on the side of the road with my overactive sense of irresponsibility, trying to keep from getting pissed off at myself, and asked the Lord why He let this happen.  I felt Him gently speak to me and let me know that it was ok, and that He wanted to reveal Himself to me as My Provider in a new and deeper way.  I'm excited to see Him do this and thankful for His comforting voice in times like that.  I'll keep you posted on my poor truck, Duke, and the facelift that he's getting.

4.  Costco has changed our lives.  Jess and her mom joined this month, and it is one of the best things ever.  Not only do they sell tons of incredible organic snack food and fruit, but they also sell Lucky Jeans for $37.  Cue awesomeness and go join Costco.



Explosion is over.  I feel better now.  I am off to watch Clash of the Titans with the all the brothers today.  I cannot wait to see it.  You see, I watched the original one time while sick as a middle-schooler.  I thought it was awesome then.  I cannot wait to see the new one with CGI awesomeness.

Also, the first crawfish boil of the year is today at the Jordan's house.  I love crawfish.




I am going to quit blogging now.  Too many exciting things exploding into cyberspace.  I want to stop before this man blows up too.

With (obvious?) excitement,
Mr. Hill

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

#1. You just named off some of my favorite things, and it makes me happy just thinking about your enjoyment. Why dont we hang out more often??

#4. I might have to get Jess to get me some Lucky jeans! Nice find man!

love you guys - kell

Anonymous said...

Hill, you never cease to amaze me...
especially with this sentence in #3: "Thank God for comprehensive insurance and for keeping everyone safe."... i had no idea you were that big of a proponent of Obamacare's comprehensive health insurance that claims to "keep everyone safe".
hahahahahahaha!

seriously though, miss you bubba!

-Armour

Mr. Hill said...

Armour, you are, as they say, a hoser.

I love you, none the less.

prothro said...

Blind spots are the worst! After my accident I started thinking I should get those mini-blindspot mirrors. THey would probably look much better on your truck though

Daniel W said...

our new 4-runner has mini blind spot mirrors in the back. eeeeheheheh