Feb 25, 2010

Value

Unlike the Value menu at McDonalds how much value you think you have is in fact invaluable.

You are worth so much more than one dollar.

Have you ever thought, "Man, I wish that person would just realize how much I have to give?" While at the same time subconsciously thinking, "So that I could in return also know how much I have to give."

Beth Moore has recently published a book called So Long Insecurity and on page 173 she said something that made lots of things connect together which changed me.

She said, "Help me to stop using a person as my mirror and start seeing myself as you [God] alone see me."

Suddenly I realized when you depend on a person, a success, a job, or even family members to determine how you see yourself, how you value yourself, or even how secure you are then the reflection you will see will be extremely poor.   It would be like saying that you are looking at a rainbow and only seeing one color.   People, jobs, and family are all imperfect.  Unfortunately they cannot always see all of who God made you to be, and even if they do at certain times they cannot be depended on to give you a constant good report.

 When Beth said to stop using people as a mirror to determine who you are I got this mental picture of me standing in front of someone with a mirror between us.   The mirror reflected to me how the other person saw me.   The mirror was dirty, damaged, and imperfect because the person did not have good enough sight to truly tell me who I am.   Jesus whispered in my ear that he wanted to be my mirror and consistently and constantly give me His reflection.    In one moment it was like Jesus plugged the power cord of who I am into the energy outlet.   My screen lit up and started running smoothly like a brand new Macbook pro.   My faulty processor had been switched for a new shiny one that will never be outdated.

This was something that I always knew in my head and often tried to apply.   There have been times in my life where I have applied this knowledge very well, but it was not until recently did this knowledge reach my heart.  

This does not mean that people, jobs, and family (or anything else) cannot hurt you, encourage you, or point you in an awesome direction.  It just means that you can be stable, secure and completely you in Christ Jesus.

When good things happen it is good to share them with your friends, and that is why I am sharing this with you now.  Especially in girl world where we all compare ourselves to each other and determine value by each other’s reaction, it is very important for us to realize that really it is Jesus who gives us value.  We do not have to search out someone or something else to do that for us anymore.  You could be the most amazing Christian in the world and still struggle in this area.   So, have no shame!  Give it all up to Jesus.

All of us girls need to be on the same team anyways :)




Jess

1 comment:

Leah said...

Thanks for sharing! I just started this book, and am looking forward to what Beth has to say.