Nov 18, 2009

Music

Man, I love music.

I love what it does to me when I hear it.  I love how it sets the tone for an evening.  I love how it can change at atmosphere.  I love how we use it to express ourselves.

I love the lyrics to music.

I love the melodies of music.

I love that Jesus made us to praise Him with music, to praise Him with our voices.

I saw the coolest movie the other day that sparked this thought.

Equilibrium is the name of the movie.  It stars Christian Bale as John Preston, a high-ranking enforcement officer in a future dystopia in which all forms of emotional expression are illegal, and citizens are forced to take daily injections of drugs to suppress their emotions. After accidentally missing one such injection Preston begins to experience emotion; he begins to question his own morality and to moderate his actions, while attempting to remain undetected by the suspicious society in which he lives. 


So after he's missed his injection and his emotions begin to open up a bit, he hears this:





Up until this point in the movie, it has been totally devoid of music.  Bale's character has been so unemotional, it has been so cold, and then all of the sudden those notes from Beethoven's 9th come.


I don't care how you feel about classical music, music in general is so emotional.  I hear certain songs on my iPod that sometimes bring me to tears thinking about my Jessa.  I hear other songs that remind me of home and the Diamond H Ranch.  I hear other songs that remind me of yelling at the top of my lungs driving around with my best friends.


I love music.

No comments: