Aug 20, 2009

Fathers and General Motors

My dad's dad, Papa, instituted that the Jordan family would always drive GM cars.

Except for the time my immediate family spent in Scotland - we have always driven GM cars. Now there is an exception to this that was made some time back when, and that was that women could drive German made cars if needed. Which is how I got my first little car which was not a GM.

I even married a man who drove a GMC Yukon when I met him, and had bought a new GMC truck (under the care and supervision of my father) right before he proposed to me.

When I was in high school my Dad would tell the boys at church that I was not allowed to date boys who drove Ford pick up trucks. He was kidding - kind of!

My Papa was car king. Every car had to be approved by him. He was the guiding force behind every car bought. I want you to know this was all done in love and in favor of tradition - no weird controlling stuff. Anyways, my Papa passed away a few years ago and then my Mimi's Father passed away last fall leaving Mimi and her mother Granny Ima with no man in the house. These two wonderful and amazing ladies have never picked out or bought a car for themselves IN THEIR ENTIRE LIFE - at least until yesterday! My Mimi married my Papa when she was 17 and until the day he died every couple of years Papa would pull up in the drive way with a new car for her. She never ever picked out her own car. Before Papa died Mimi had told him that she wanted a Lincoln Towncar for her next car and never had told anyone else.

This week it became apparent that Mimi needed to buy a new car. This has been something the family has been mulling over for quite awhile and has had Mimi at a stand still because she had never picked out a car with out Papa. So - while at the dealership yesterday Mimi told the guy what she wanted in a car - never mentioning a Lincoln Towncar - and the guy goes well let me go pull up something for you - and he drives up in a brand new Lincoln Towncar. My Dad was with Mimi when this happened - and it was like a little message from God that Papa was still helping out in the car buying process.

God used that situation to help heal my Dad's heart in regard to his Dad and taking on responsibility. I just thought was cool. Jesus just wants us to be little kids so He can take care of things for us without us shouldering the burden - even the little things like what kind of car to buy!

So just for fun I am going to list to you the GM cars in the family:

Dad - GMC Yukon XL
Mom- GM Hummer (Hummer was recently sold to some chinese company - which is devestating)
Chris - GMC Sierra
Jess - GMC Envoy
Luke - GMC 2500 HD
Evan - GMC 2500 HD
Jeremy - still 15 ( but will probably get Mom's hummer)

We are a GM family. A family left with a little hole in our heart when the government decided to buy it and own it. We are left thinking what are we to do? Ford is the only great American car company left ....

I personally (along with Mom) am going to opt for BMW's - they are importing the diesel engines from Europe this year :) --- meaning amazing gas mileage and crazy Jordan women on the road - watch out!

2 comments:

Annie said...

what a sweet and encouraging post jess! :)

Daniel W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.