Jul 9, 2010

Vulnerably Dependent: Simplified

My freshman year of college God dropped these two words into my heart during Breakaway.

Vulnerably Dependent.

You see I needed to break up with this boy and God wanted me to be Vulnerably Dependent on Him.  But I resisted and the consequences were not awesome.

Graciously Jesus still loved me even though I chose not to listen to Him.    Throughout the whole summer, after the break up and after I decided to pursue Jesus with all I had, God constantly kept those two words on my mind and heart.

Over the past 5 or 6 years God has taken lots of experiences in my life and used the term Vulnerably Dependent to help me understand them and help me to realize what he wanted from me.

Vulnerable Dependence on Him in every way of my life.

There is a huge obstacle that can keep you from being vulnerably dependent on Jesus.   Pride.

The scary thing about pride is that God resists the proud.   His spirit literally cannot be around pride.   Pride and God are like two ends of a magnet that repel each other.  The ugly thing about pride is that more often than not pride convinces you that you are in fact not proud.

You see I recently discovered that I had a whole lot of pride in my life.   I mean every single stinking area of my life.    You can see pride in your life if you feel like you have to promote yourself or protect yourself all the time.   We do those things basically because we believe that God is not good enough to do those things for us.  

Chris and I have been listening to these podcasts by Kevin Weaver and last week while I was riding in the car and listening to them I realized how much pride I have in my life.   I realized how this must be grieving God and causing Him to have to resist me in SO many areas of my life.   In a sweet and tender moment I repented and asked for forgiveness.   I submitted all my pride to Jesus.  It was an instant heart change.   My life has totally been different from that incredible moment.

I became Vulnerably Dependent believing God is good and that I can trust Him always.    It did not take some catastrophe or a huge amount of breaking for God to do this.   He gave me the opportunity and my heart responded and I instantly became a changed person while driving in the car.

God simply wants to be first in your life in absolutely every area.   He wants you to know that he is good enough to protect you, promote you, and know what is best for you.

2 comments:

Kelley Ellis said...

mmm thank you for this :)

Leah said...

a good word. thank you!