Apr 4, 2009

God's gift to Chicken Pot Pie :)

I never ever liked Chicken Pot Pie growing up, but then Real Simple magazine had this recipe in their January issue and the picture of it made me want to make it. So I did, with a few alterations to the recipe, and with only like 388 calories a serving it was the best chicken pot pie I have ever had in my life. So here it is:

1 pound of chicken breast --- (I just used an HEB Rotisserie chicken for quickness and extra flavor)
1 – 2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 onion chopped (calls for 2 I used one)
4 carrots - chopped up
(I also added some mushrooms)
3-4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
½ cup dry white cooking wine – I used about 3/4 cup
2 cups of 1 or 2 % milk
16 oz package of frozen vegetables
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
Kosher salt and black pepper – I salted and peppered the onions and carrots first
1 9 inch piecrust – I used Pillsbury piecrust
*I also added 3 tablespoons of pecorino Romano


>Heat oven to 400 F. Cook the chicken in the oven or boil in chicken stock or buy a rotisserie chicken (or turkey breast)
and shred

>Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook, stir-ring, until they begin to soften, 6 to 8 mintutes (I personally cook the onions until they are completely transparent and soft, and I also like to add the mushrooms at this point). Sprinkle the flour over veggies and cook, stirring for a minute or 2 - letting the mixture turn a dark sandy color.

>Add the wine and cook until evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the milk and simmer until the sauce thickens, 2-4 minutes - stir constantly to make sure the mixture thickens wells, I also like to add the pecorino Romano at this point. Stir in the chicken, frozen veggies, thyme, salt and pepper. Transfer to a shallow 1 ½ - 2 quart baking dish – or whatever you want

➢ Lay the crust on top, pressing to seal. Cut several vents in the crust ( about 4 start at the center - about 2 inches long). Place pot on a baking sheet and bake until bubbling and the crust is golden, or 30 to 35 min

No comments: