Jun 3, 2010

El Yum: Two Different Kinds of Pizza

Since I just posted the best pizza dough recipe I thought I would also tell y'all about the two different kinds of pizza we make in the Hill Household.

The first kind of pizza we make is just good old pepperoni.   Chris and I are pizza enthusiasts but we most love plain old pepperoni.    The foundation of a good pepperoni pizza is lots of sauce.   Of course this is all our  own opinion.   Pizza is very personal, so if you do not like lots of sauce then please do not be offended. BUT - before you totally make up your mind about that at least try lots of my favorite sauce.

I do not make my own sauce.  Praise the Lord.   But I absolutely love and adore and cherish Cento pizza sauce.   This can of sauce is on the pasta isle next to the expensive cans of special Italian tomatoes.   It is about $1.50 - $1.99 a can.   I promise that it totally makes the homemade pizza experience worth all the hard work.    If I were you I would just go ahead and pour that whole can of sauce on your pizza dough.

(Please note that this is not the fully prepared pizza sauce I love, this is just what a Cento can looks like.)

I have recently discovered that it is much better to grate your own mozzarella.    It melts so much better.
Cover your pizza in a good amount of mozzarella and then any of the following toppings: Hormel natural and uncured pepperonis,  mushrooms, banana peppers, turkey Italian sausage, bell peppers, black olives, or Roma tomatoes.   Sometimes Chris and I just do pepperoni and sometimes we get a little more creative.   Seriously y'all pizza is about the dough and the sauce.



The next pizza is Margarita pizza courtesy of my friend Elizabeth Meeh.   She made this pizza for Lauren and Matt's couples shower that she so wonderfully hosted.   Of course I spied something wonderful being made and paid close attention.  

All you need for this is:
Homemade pizza dough
Pesto
Fresh mozzarella sliced thinly
3-4 Roma tomatoes
A dash or two of garlic salt

Liz spread the pesto over the dough.   I would say a good 1/2 a cup to 2/3 a cup depending on how much you think you want, or how large you have rolled your dough out.   She then covered the pizza in the sliced mozzarella and then covered it in the sliced Roma tomatoes.    Then she lightly lightly sprinkled the top with garlic salt and brushed some olive oil on the crust.    I bake this pizz in a 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes.   I promise you will not burn the cheese.

Then prepare yourself for some amazing awesomeness.   This is truly an amazing recipe.   Chris, my meat eating husband,  absolutely LOVES LOVES LOVES this pizza.

There you have it.   Two great pizza recipes to spoil your loved ones with.   A homemade pizza and some good beer or wine while watching a movie = a great "Art of Staying In" date which was coined by the one and only Julie Prothro.


Jess

No comments: